7 Of The Best Nano Skimmers In 2017
Specifically, these containers can accommodate water of up to 40 gallons. Because of its compact size and portability, it is the perfect choice for households that have limited space.
But of course, a nano aquarium still requires regular cleaning. That's why you need the best nano skimmers to do this job for you. After all, your marine friends deserve a clean environment to live.
There are a lot of nano skimmers on the market today. However, only a few of them are reasonably worthy of your attention. In this article, we listed the most viable options you have for this product. Read on!
Best Nano Skimmers
Things to Consider Before Buying a Protein Skimmer
You have to consider some things before shopping for a nano skimmer. If you don't want to waste your valuable time and money in a flimsy and unwarranted skimmer, then you should pay attention to these following details:
When choosing for a nano skimmer, make sure that you know the kind of aquarium you have. Of course, you cannot expect that one nano skimmer could work on freshwater and saltwater aquariums. It is not a one-size-fits-all device.
Therefore, you should check the capacity of the nano skimmer first before you buy it. In this way, you will know if your prospect is compatible with your setup or not.
Moreover, we have to emphasize that size matters as well. Because we are talking about nano aquariums, you should choose a model that would fit on them as well.
On the flip side, standard-sized protein skimmers will work best on regular or large fish tanks.
A nano skimmer is a complex device. It is not something that you can label as a rocket science. Therefore, you need to assess the quality and functionality of the brands that you want to buy.
Moreover, you have to look for the unit's manual or instruction so that you will know how to operate the skimmer properly. Otherwise, you will have a bad time at your home.
The ozonizer is the most important component of a skimmer because it is responsible for creating the bubbles that cleanse the water. Ideally, you want the skimmer to generate fine bubbles.
In this way, it can be able to expel those harmful microorganisms efficiently. Furthermore, it can stabilize the pH level of the water as well.
The best nano skimmer is the one that allows you to control the amount of its bubble production. Sometimes, too many bubbles could disrupt the ecosystem of your aquarium.
These are the basics of a nano skimmer. Now is the proper time to introduce the best brands of nano skimmers on the market today. Read on!
7 Of The Best Nano Skimmers
If you want a premium choice for a nano skimmer, then you should choose this model from Bubble Magus. This high-quality nano skimmer is perfectly compatible with water tanks that as small as 25 gallons.
Of course, the quality of this device suggests that it will serve you long. It can properly skim the dirt away from your aquarium without disturbing you at all. In short, it has a smooth and quiet operation.
- Made from premium materials
- Guaranteed efficient skimming
- Contributes to the stability the pH level of your water
- Easy to install
- Comes with Rock SP600 Pump for the production of fine bubbles
- Assembly process is somewhat complicated
- You can only mount it on specific areas
Another nano skimmer that can do the job is the Hydor USA SlimSkim. This particular product can work perfectly on 35-gallon tanks or lesser.
You will love that it has an energy-efficient operation. It just uses 4 watts of electricity, so you don't have to worry about your power bill. It also has a patented magnet mounting system that lets you attach it to any part of your aquarium.
- Foaming and air production are both adjustable
- Energy efficient
- Compact and durable construction
- Effectively cleans all those unwanted waste in your aquarium
- Easy to assemble and operate
- Tendencies of overflowing
- Instruction manual is somehow vague
The Eshopps Nano Skimmer is an excellent choice if your aquarium has a filter chamber. Specifically, this one can fit perfectly in that compartment. Moreover, you can also install inside the fish tank itself.
Because it comes with a magnet, mounting it quite easy. Meanwhile, this product uses a needle-wheel impeller to blend properly fine bubbles for efficient cleaning.
- Durable body (made of acrylic)
- It uses a Sicce pump for bubble production (Italy-made)
- Can fit on standard size aquariums
- Easy to install and adjust
- Comes with a removable cup so that you can clean it quickly
- It is somehow noisy when running
- The amount of bubble is not many as other high-end brands
The Aquatic Life 115 is a compact skimmer that sits perfectly inside mini aquariums. Because of this setup, you can guarantee that it has a quiet operation.
Despite its size, you can assure that its pump and needle impeller are both powerful. In fact, the latter improves the water-to-air contact of the device, which allows more efficient skimming.
- Durable and rigid design
- Can operate even there is a minimum water clearance
- Setup is seamless (comes with a channel that hides the power cord)
- It has brackets that let you install it on standard aquarium panels
- Plastic collection cup is clear and easy to remove
- It doesn't fit on all filter box
- Susceptible to wet-skimming
Fluval is a reputable brand when it comes to aquarium filters and protein skimmers. In fact, this list won't be complete without including their very own nano skimmer.
Specifically, the Fluval Sea PS1 has a good build. It can produce fine bubbles without any issues of leakage at all. Moreover, it is easy to install and operates quietly!
- Energy consumption is low
- Prevents the escape of the bubbles from the skimmer
- Guaranteed efficient skimming
- Works silently
- Designed to last long
- It somehow too big for a nano tank
- Produces too many micro bubbles
The footprint of the Reef Octopus NS80 makes it a great nano-skimmer. With dimensions that only measure 4 feet x 2.4 feet, this one can perfectly fit on 20-gallon aquariums.
After all, people are already going crazy over small aquariums. Therefore, if you are riding on to that wave already, you should get this unit installed in your fish tank! The NS-80 has two ways of installation: via sump of interior placement.
- Small footprint that can fit even on most small aquariums
- Two installation modes
- Easy-to-remove collection cup
- Same powerful features as those large skimmers
- Comes with a diffuser to control the bubbles
- Some plastic parts feel flimsy
- You need to be accurate the water level of your fish tank before you install this
When it comes to performance, the Innovative Marine 939008 Nano Skimmer is second to none. It has all the features that you need to drive out those unwanted organics out from your fish tank.
Specifically, it got air silencers and bubble plates for a guaranteed smooth and efficient operation. Moreover, its wheel impellers can operate non-stop, giving you the satisfaction that you deserve.
- Sleek but simple look (can complement the interior design of your room)
- Active skimming operations through the combination of multiple features
- Operates quietly even in demanding situations
- Can work non-stop
- Maintenance and installation are convenient
- Relatively expensive
- Its size is too large for some nano aquariums
Regardless of your choice, you have to remember that your aquarium needs a cleaning mechanism. If you want to take care of your hobby (and your marine friends as well), then you have to invest in a nano skimmer and other related devices. In this way, you will not worry anymore about the cleanliness and safety of your marine environment.
Among the products we featured, we deem that the Bubble Magus QQ1 is the best nano skimmer. It is easy to install and operates on low energy. Furthermore, all of its parts have premium and intuitive design.
Therefore, you can guarantee that it can expel those unwanted microorganisms and other mess out from your water.
Did you learn from this article? Which among these nano skimmers do you think work best? Tell us in the comment section below!